Marshmallow Easter Eggs


 Once again I've fallen back to an old family cook book for these Marshmallow Easter Eggs. I pulled out my mothers Farm Journal Homemade Candy book.  


This recipe only called for 5 ingredients which our pantry did have. I even found some left over Easter paper cups and sprinkles!   


Marshmallows call for: 

2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla 
Chocolate or Wilton Candy melts

1 Egg (use as a mold) 
Food coloring (optional)
Candy sprinkles (optional)


Add gelatin to a double boiler, then add the cold water. Once the gelatin has soften add the boiling water and mix, now slowly add the sugar, salt stir until its completely dissolved.  Then pour gelatin mixture in to your electric mixing bowl and whip on high speed until its thick and airy.  Now add the vanilla and food coloring continue to mix.  
While waiting on the gelatin to mix let's make the egg mold.  Add 1" to 2" of flour to a small rimmed pan. Take your egg in shell I place mine in a small plastic bag to keep from contaminating the flour. Or if you have any plastic Easter eggs you could use one of those.   I didn't think of that until now.  


Push your egg in to the flour, space the eggs at intervals. 


This will be your egg mold, 


Next ladle your Marshmallow mixture into your flour Easter egg mold.  Don't worry if some of your mixture over runs, you can trim it once it sets up. 


Set in a cool dry area and let set up over night. 


I only made 6 half eggs since I didn't want use my pantry of flour.  The rest of the mixture I poured in 1/4 size cookie sheet that I sprayed with cooking spray.  At this point you can add candy sprinkles. Then set aside in a cool dry area to set up over night.  


The next day I used a tooth pick to see how firm they were. 



Once I removed them and brushed them off with a pastry brush and used a pizza cutter to trim my eggs of any over flow tails.


For the eggs, in a small microwave safe bowl add your chocolate or candy melts. Melt at 10 second intervals in the microwave, stir each time. 
Once melted dip a half egg in or sandwich the two half's together. 








Once coated cool in the refrigerator to set up faster. You can drizzle with a different color candy melt or add sprinkles before setting up in the refrigerator.  

For the cookie sheet marshmallows, flip out on a floured surface. 



Dust lightly with powder sugar. 


I found some Easter/Spring cookie cutter for some fun Marshmallows.  



Use your cookie cutters as you would for cookie dough on your marshmallows.  Keep in mind that your Marshmallow will be sticky.  For each cut out I would dip the cutter in my left over flour from my egg mold.  


Set your shapes a side to let the cut edges dry, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how humid your weather is.


 For eyes I found some mini chocolate morsels.  


I found some Easter boxes and cups I was going to use for the church spring bake sale, but was canceled. Ill be dropping these off to my niece and nephews since it's looking like we wont be getting together due to Covid-19.  

Happy Easter Everyone!
Be Safe!
#WeAreInThisTogether


4 comments:

  1. These marshmallows are delicious. They are fluffy, soft, and way better then store bought marshmallows. The chocolate covered eggs give a nice contrast of squishy and crunchy. It was a wonderful experience in just one bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you TinyPancake, happy to know you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The only hard part was having to wait until the next day.

      Delete

What's old is new again - Mother's Day treat

  While going through family boxes, I came across my grandmother's 1937 Royal Cookbook. Within these well-loved pages were notes from my...