Summer Time Covid Garden

Like everyone around the United States and world we sheltered in place this spring.  So to keep busy I pulled out the only two grow lights I had and set up a grow table in my basement.  Lucky me, I had ordered my seed from Johnny's Selected seed before the shelter in place happen.  Every day I'd shuffle my trays under the lights. When the danger of frost was over I transplanted them in my garden. 

There is nothing like trying to one up your siblings garden.  So, the challenge was us posting pictures of each others progress.  Here's some of my photos I sent my Sister.  



I lost this cucumber to a critter today.  He really was even nicer than this after a thunder storm that came through and needed some more time on the vine.  Today was the day I was going to pick him.  I came home from work today and found something else went and enjoyed it.  Sigh


Some how my sister's garden has progressed faster than mine and she started her plants later than me.  We will see if mine out grows hers.  


So, we also took on a project of redoing our mothers flower beds and repurposed stones and transplanted plants. 


Before 

Along the railing was a very over grown Yucca plant garden.  My sister spent her weekend digging them out.  We later moved them to another part of the yard.  My nephew dug up the old landscaping stones that had sunk into the hard clay soil.  I spent a weekend turning the soil and raking out the roots of crabgrass and weeds.  I used an old can of spray paint to mark the bed and started laying out the landscape stones.  But my weekend ended before I could finish.  Where I left off my sister took up and finished while I was working.  We transplanted old flowers and plants with a few new ones.  I found two fountains in my mothers basement she had never used.  Dusted them off and ordered water pumps from The Home Depot.  My sister pulled out the pressure washer and went to work on those old landscape stones and wow did they clean up.  Take a look below.



 After

I forgot Mom got a new Birthday Bird Bath from my Sister and family.  Which we had to put front and center.  The birds are very happy with this since we have been having a hot summer.  I've posted an action video below.  It's my first video so I hope I did this works. 




What Covid Shelter in Place projects have you done? I'd love to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's old is new again - Mother's Day treat

  While going through family boxes, I came across my grandmother's 1937 Royal Cookbook. Within these well-loved pages were notes from my...