Pierogi Sunday

Our second day of August and we are getting much needed rain. Since out door work is out of the question today I decided to make Pierogi from scratch I could not find my Grandmother's recipe so I pulled up Cook's Country recipe for Potato-Sauerkraut Pierogi.  I did some family tweaking to their recipe.  That and due to Covid -19 shortages at the stores I had to do substitutions.   



I had to substitute gold potatoes for Russet and All-purpose flour for bread. My tweak was to add minced Viladia onions to the filling for added flavor.   


Other than those changes I followed Cook's Country's recipe.


They turned out better than I expected for my first Pierogi, even with all the substitutions. 
 No they were not perfectly shaped so it will take a bit of practice. I did crimped the edges, I thought they looked more appealing. 


But, now that I've made fresh homemade Pierogi I won't be able to go back to store bought frozen kind! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

What's old is new again - Mother's Day treat

  While going through family boxes, I came across my grandmother's 1937 Royal Cookbook. Within these well-loved pages were notes from my...